Tuesday, September 7, 2010

the man who walked between the towers


Is it possible this book is not well known? I wanted to use The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein as a read aloud for my tutoring sessions this weekend, seeing as Saturday is 9/11 I thought it would be an excellent chance to use this wonderful picture book. I had forgotten to request  it from the library and had my fingers crossed this evening that there would still be a copy available. I checked Akron-Summit County Library, and sure enough, all 20 plus copies were available.


Maybe the book is so well loved that people have bought their own copies and don't need to check it out from the library. But if that isn't the case, let me introduce you to a Caldecott Award winning piece of literature that honors the tragic events of September 11, 2001 by highlighting the inspiring story of Philippe Petit's 1974 tight rope walk between the World Trade Center towers.  



I love this picture book for the illustrations, poetic text, and inspiring story that urges us to remember the tragedy of 9/11 and the human spirit that enables us to over come all obstacles. If you haven't had a chance to read this book, I highly recommend it. It is an excellent and appropriate choice to read with your children or students this week, and currently there's at least 19 copies available through the Akron Library :)

No comments:

Post a Comment